Basic Korean Course
Our basic Korean language course is meant to serve as an introduction to the language. In main, it will provide our students with a basic understanding of the language in an efficient and effective manner. However, it will also provide some simple instruction on the culture, which goes hand-in-hand with the instruction on the language.
Our Korean courses syllabus is published by the Language Education Institute of Seoul National University, our students know that they can count on it for reliable results. Our native teachers are certified and trained teaching Korean as a foreign language.
What Can Our Students Expect From Our Basic Korean Course?
There are a number of things that our students can expect to learn:
- A simple vocabulary that will include many of the words that they can expect to use over the course of a normal day.
- The ability to hold a simple conversation about everyday matters, which range from asking directions and making appointments to buying items at stores and ordering food from restaurants.
- Basic reading and writing skills, which will prepare interested individuals for more advanced courses on the same subjects by introducing what they look like in the context of the language.
- Occasional pointers about the culture, which will serve to make the language that much more comprehensible to interested individuals.
- Our course is best suited for beginners and they can expect to have learned 200 words, which is sufficient to make many daily life conversation sentences with good functional vocabulary.
Basic Korean Course Level
Beginner 1 – 10 sessions of 2hrs each
Beginner 2 – 10 sessions of 2hrs each (Equivalent to TOPIK 1)
- This course invites students without prior knowledge of Korean to explore the basic features of the Korean language.
- Supported by audio-visual aids, students will receive intensive practice in spoken and written Korean through interactive class work, homework and online exercises with special emphasis placed on oral communication and pronunciation.
- They will become familiar with the basic concepts of Korean grammar and learn how to interact in some simple everyday situations.
- Upon completion of the above levels, students will be able to develop their Korean communicative skills in effective ways.
- They will be able to converse with dialogues based on everyday-life situations that can be easily adapted to the real life.
- They will benefit from the flow of real class environment, from Vocabulary, Key Dialogues, to Conversation Drills, making conversation easy.
- They will know how to read and write basic Hangul characters and participate in various tasks and conversations further developing their communicative skills.
- They will learn the grammar points and grammar reference to understand the usages.
Elementary 1 – 10 sessions of 2hrs each
Elementary 2 – 10 sessions of 2hrs each (Equivalent to TOPIK 2)
- This course is designed to introduce the Korean language at the elementary level. Students will study the language’s orthographic and phonetic systems, grammar, syntax, and vocabulary in this course. It provides a solid foundation in all aspects of the language, including speaking, listening, reading, and writing.
- This course introduces students to the language’s major social and cultural contexts. Students will learn how to express simple ideas such as attributes, identities, locations, time, daily activities, weekend plan, as well as how to combine simple ideas in various ways.
- By the end of the course, students will be able to speak words, phrases, and sentences in Korean with the proper pronunciation and intonation;
- Demonstrate understanding of basic expressions for use in everyday situations including classroom interaction.
- Students are able to use appropriate words and phrases in various social situations, write grammatically correct sentences and paragraphs in Korean characters and read elementary texts written in Korean.